When the Colcord Building was completed in 1910, at 12 stories, it was the first skyscraper in Oklahoma City. Constructed by Charles Francis Colcord, he chose William A. Wells as the architect. Wells was a protégé of Louis Sullivan, a founder of the Chicago School style of architecture. Sullivan was also the designer of the molds for the decorative terra cotta, which adorns the first, second, and twelfth floors of the Colcord Building.
The building was constructed of reinforced concrete after Colcord witnessed terrible devastation associated with the San Francisco earthquake and resulting fires in 1906. He wanted to avoid the same catastrophic loss of his building.
Every luxury of the time was incorporated in the construction. Marble adorned the columns and walls of the main lobby, the original nickel and bronze letterbox and elevator doors shone, and an ornamental plaster ceiling crowned the space. This landmark was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
Today, the Colcord brings new life to the original Colcord Building. After a $16 million renovation project completed in the fall of 2006, the building's trademark elegance and historic architectural elements have been preserved, yet now offers contemporary style, elegance, and state-of-the-art technology befitting a deluxe hotel of the twenty-first century.